Friday 23 May 2014

Our urban oasis

Yesterday was one of my worse mental health days for a very long time. It's left me exhausted and upset and truly looking back I can't believe I got through it - but I did, just. So I am very thankful that this is a long weekend and hopefully there will be plenty of fun to be had and yesterday can be forgotten...

I started putting these photos together before the world collapsed around my ears and to honour myself I am going to continue with the post I had planned....
********
So, I'm being a little improper and boastful here and am going to talk about our wonderful hideaway of a back garden. Over the last fortnight it has really started to show what it's capable of and we are so looking forward to more to come as the summer progresses. It is truly becoming what we envisioned - a secret, calm hideaway filled with lush greens and soothing to the soul.

  • A fortnight ago we were saying our goodbyes to the tulips and I felt rather sad...

back garden - 'growourown.blogspot.com' ~ an allotment blog
* awww look at them, they did so well and made me smile every morning
* hey, it's Maggie. I would imagine she's angry at me as it looks as though she's just had a bath
* the Virginia Creeper is taking off
* I love ivy!! there was lots at our wedding but this is getting out of hand... plus happy Camelia :)

*******************

  • A week ago we sat out for the first time with a glass of wine after a little pottering...

back garden - 'growourown.blogspot.com' ~ an allotment blog
* Awww what a cute Maggie pic - she was feeling good in the sun
* One of those joyous moments that makes gardening worth it
* Just love the way wisteria stems wrap around themselves so tightly
* Ivy has mostly gone, replaced by Buddha
********************

  • Yesterday morning the weather was simply too glorious not to take photos (even without any hayfever tablets!), though going right round to the tea garden was a bit much.. 

back garden - 'growourown.blogspot.com' ~ an allotment blog
* Left side as you step out - the beech hedge looks so happy and healthy now, the tulips are gone, water feature cleaned out and working again and look at that Virginia creeper!
* Japanese maple looks it's best so far, our lovely big stepping stones, the Virginia creeper need it's wires lengthened, hoorah!
back garden - 'growourown.blogspot.com' ~ an allotment blog
* the right hand side of the garden and the Norway Maple is such a stunning colour, the box hedges growing and getting fluffy and the bamboo doing great bar one or two branches
* the star jasmine is truly starting to take over and is so healthy (we want it to be vigorous at it has a big blank wall to cover), it reminds me of our honeymoon

Hugs and love; today shall be better.
Carrie 
xxx



8 comments:

  1. Glad you've bounced back - the sun does help but for us Thursday, Friday and today have been wet,wetter and possibly even wetter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your garden really is magnificent! Good to watch the season, lush pink tulips, and then the next act.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today shall be better friend! Your perfect hideaway is stunning! My goodness! Such a sanctuary! I am sending you big hugs!!! Happy gardening! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't stop sharing the beauty and loveliness of your gardens! You and Andrew have made such a relaxing oasis with interesting textures for the eyes and ears.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's looking beautiful out there, I'm so glad you have this peaceful oasis to escape too. I'm sorry yesterday was so horrendous, I do hope you have a good day today Carrie. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely photos. I hope that you're feeling better. Hugs, Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you're feeling better sweetie! You hideaway is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry to hear you had such a bad day Carrie.
    The fact that you have posted is testament in itself to your positive approach to these set backs. Thank you for brightening your reader's day with your lovely, inspiring photos. I love the stained glass against the plain wall.
    Isn't gardening and nature wonderfully therapeutic? There is always something to look forward to - I can't wait for our roses in the next week or two. Take care x

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a little nugget of happiness in the form of a comment - don't forget to put your name at the end if using 'anonymous' setting x