Friday 16 May 2014

An archaeologist's wife

Like everyone, I wear many hats in my life (though I have misplaced a couple recently) and I am not only an allotmenteer and blogger. No. I am a photographer who used to sell works, a felt crafter who stills sells a few bits, a dog owner and groomer, housewife and archaeologist's wife, given the chance I am also a loyal friend and quite a good baker.

For this post I would like to talk about what it's like being a wife to someone whose life at present is all about the archaeology and work, work, work. We haven't been to the plot for a wee while now and well that is terrible but weather has stopped us and archaeology has recently taken over our lives anyway. We have so much to do at the plots, but any free time is so precious we have tended to go to National Trust sites and pretend we're on holiday. Yep, we have even become members!
http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/springhill/

So along with talking, thinking, watching and reading archaeology, we have been visiting places too.

Those of you who are regular readers (how I do so love you for your encouragement) will know that in the past few months I have been in England and in Scotland with the hubby on fact finding missions. The reason being that there is a huge new project in the pipelines for Dunluce Castle! Naturally they want the best ideas for preservation, conservation, interpretation and the ultimate goal at these early stages.

(Maggie has been enjoying many a wee break with her Granny.)


Well I was away again on Monday and Tuesday there, back to Scotland. It's got me back into taking photographs again, not for sale, just for pleasure and thought I would share some.. I am trying, in my own way to enjoy this experience; as Andrew works hard and takes notes, I take photographs for him and try to feel helpful. I think I have mentioned before that we are so lucky with Andrew's work, as they know I can't be left alone overnight and must go with him if he is to be away for longer than a day trip. I find it all extremely stressful  but I know the final project will be worth it all and I am so proud of my hubby!

***
This was the most wonderful place of all that we have visited - Culross, a preserved town from the 16th Century which was left abandoned then bought by the National Trust of Scotland .. read more about it here. Culross Palace was incredible but it was its gardens are what really took our breaths away. So many vegetables, fruits and flowers together in such a pleasing arrangement.



So that's just a little or what I have been up to, ruins, castles, more castles, and a beautiful town and gardens.

We have much to do now we have time at home, so hopefully I will get back into writing about veggies and growing and hope and Maggie and such next week.

Much love and I hope you enjoyed this little peek into our adventures.
Carrie

20 comments:

  1. Those Dunluce photos are really gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carrie!!! This is so awesome! Yes you all do wear many hats! How absolutely exciting that you can experience these lovely places.... And that garden!!! Oh my...I just got lost in it! You are very talented! Enjoy your time friend!!! Nicole xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicole angel, I only realise how lucky I am going when it's over. I actually fainted in those gardens, I was so exhausted. I would love to have spent hours there though! xxxx

      Delete
    2. ooh nasty, haven't fainted for years. Hope you were able to recover, and enjoy a little more of that garden?

      Delete
    3. I was lucky, I was only out for a minute or two. Sadly the palace was closing though so we only had a few note minutes to enjoy it. I'd love to go back. Xxx

      Delete
  3. If a picture is worth a thousand words, then Andrew is indeed fortunate to have an assistant with a camera while he takes notes. You captured some spectacular views.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dearest Jean, thank you! That means a lot. I haven't put up any of the boring academic style ones here but you comment is indeed encouraging, thank you so much xxx

      Delete
    2. Oh, do share the "boring academic" ones :-) They don't sound boring!

      Delete
  4. You do take beautiful photos. I love the large one in the bottom collage. Do you enhance any as this one is almost a painting and the figure in the background really adds to the image.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Sue! I don't really tinker much with any of my photos, just try to pick the right settings beforehand etc. Though the one you most like was just taken on my phone so I just needed to correct the contrast after - hugs xx

      Delete
  5. A lovely post and terrific pictures. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. looking back you do forget the tiredness and anxiety and realise what a privilege it was to see these places xxx

      Delete
  6. Lovely photos! OK, now Scotland is on my places to visit. I do admire the ability to mix flowers and veggies in a relaxed and beautiful way! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! - you've never been to bonny Scotland? It's a must :) That garden was most definitely on my all time favourites list :) xx

      Delete
  7. Your Andrew sounds like a prince among men. I'm so glad his work understands and lets you go along. And what beautiful views you've found to remember by. They look dreamy, esp the gardens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a lucky girl *blush*. All these trips have really got me back into my photography, which is brilliant as I had lost interest over the nasty winter months. I love to take photos! xx

      Delete
  8. What beautiful photos - oh to have a garden like that:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Jenny - I know! I loved it so much, it's just a dreamy otherworld! x

      Delete
  9. I didn't realize Andrew was an archaeologist. That's so cool. It was one of my favorite subjects in school, but that's been ages ago. I like that you get to travel with him and take photographs. I'm sure that is helpful. The ones here are absolutely lovely. I would definitely like the visit the castle and the 16th Century village. Plus you get to go to Scotland. I'm jealous. I've always wanted to visit there.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a little nugget of happiness in the form of a comment - don't forget to put your name at the end if using 'anonymous' setting x