Tuesday 28 July 2009

Beetroot and ginger chutney

I was sent this fabulous recipe by my friend Jo last year, just as we had finished all our beetroot! Well, this year I wasn't going to miss out on the opportunity to make this yummy sounding chutney (even though I personally can't eat it). I'm intolerant to onions and I just simply despise vinegar ~ not a great mix when your about to make chutney ;)

Beetroot and Ginger Chutney

Makes about 5-6 lb.

3 lb beetroot, roasted
1 lb onion, chopped
2 pints vinegar
1 lb dessert apples, peeled and chopped
1 lb seedless raisins, chopped
3 tablespoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon salt
2 lb granulated sugar

  • Peel and cut the beetroot into cubes.
  • Place onion and a little of the vinegar in a large preserving pan and cook for a few minutes to soften the onion. Add apples and raisins and continue cooking until pulpy.
  • Add beetroot, ginger, salt and half the remaining vinegar.
  • Simmer gently until thick.
  • Stir in the sugar and remaining vinegar and continue cooking until thick again.
  • Pot into cooled, sterilised jars, seal with a vinegar proof lid and label.
  • Store for 6-8 weeks before using.

It takes a good few hours for the mixture to thicken up properly, but it is worth it!

So Andrew and I made it for the fun day, to sell on our own Eden Allotments Stall. We didn't have quite enough beetroot but it was easy to make the recipe work with some maths (which Andrew is good at ~ I suck at maths). We had bought a lovely new thick bottomed big pot in Ikea especially for preserve making and so we were rather excited to get going. Wow, the Gault household sounds so dull if that makes us excited!

It did take a while but nothing about is difficult and we were able to watch bits of tv and then go and stir the mixture; all made better by a glass of red wine in one hand, hehe. We got a lovely full Kilner jar (for ourselves) and 3 jam jars of the glorious food stuff out of our quantities. Okay, the house stank of vinegar for a couple of days afterwards but it feels great to make lovely things out of your own produce, and it will make money for the association on one hand and make Andrew happy on the other (me? ~ I happy to make money for the allotments, not so overjoyed with a stinky house and hubby ;) )

Just have to prettify (is that a word?) the jars with material over the lids tied with twine and they're ready to go. The chutney is the most beautiful deep red/purple colour and Andrew's labels look great, well done us!

Give it a go! Lovely pressie for a loved one, or for yourself x

4 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious! I love beets and vinegar so I'm sure I'll like this one. Adding the ginger is not something I'd expect with beets so I'm looking forward to making it and seeing how it turns out. -Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the recipe. I used to make all our preserves, chutney is a favourite of mine- have you tried cider vinegar? its the only vinegar I can eat, and you can replace any veg you can't eat with something you can, same weight, just if you are interested. I've a heap of allergies so I've had to work out things like this.
    If your beetroot grow up north I wonder why mine don't here in the west, I'm sure your weather is cooler than ours, it is in Donegal I know as I've another gardening friend there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elle Mae - I swear Andrew ate some tonight with cheese and it wasn't even mature and he was so in love!!!!! You just have to give it a go xxx

    Heckety - I haven't tried cider vinegar though it intrigutes me. Sorry you too have allergies it can be such a pain, especially in resturants. We grow 'Boltardy' and it always does well, this is our 2nd year and no problems. We are on a very windy, wet site, maybe give it a go xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing, will definitely give this a go :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a little nugget of happiness in the form of a comment - don't forget to put your name at the end if using 'anonymous' setting x