Sunday 2 March 2014

Foraging for dinner

Those delightful people at Frances Lincoln sent me another lovely new book to review and I read it last Friday, front to back...once I started I could stop reading.


Rosehips on the Kitchen Table is a husband and wife collaboration; a photographer and a writer duo with lots of experience ~ Chris and Carolyn Caldicott. I adore the photography of Chris; just gorgeous and each one a beautiful print I could happily frame for the kitchen. But also, Carolyn's writing; her knowledge and enthusiasm is infectious!


This foodie couple owned the World Food Cafe in London's gorgeous Covent Garden for many years where they shared their passion for vegetarian food and recipes collected on their travels. Sadly I didn't know of them until this book - goodness they had written another 5 already!

I have a couple of other foraging books and do love to use wild garlic and other herbs found in the wild and am highly protective of the location of 'our' sloe berry tree ;) Now I need to find a good source of elderberries and rosehips etc..let the foraging adventures commence!


However, the Coldicott's provide a great many recipe ideas that make me want to do much more with, say nettles, preserving, making cordials... Many food stuffs talked about are things we grow on the plot already but there's something about new interesting ways serving them and in coping with gluts (rather than give so much away) that really pleases me. I am ready and willing to try their tips and meals myself. I sense that this spring and summer are going to be much more productive and fun.

* Readers' dear, I have another discount code for you, if this book tickles your fancy.....
To order Rosehips on a Kitchen Table at the discounted price of £7.99 including p&p* (RRP: £9.99), telephone 01903 828503 or email mailorders@lbsltd.co.uk and quote the offer code APG97. 

Alternatively, send a cheque made payable to: 
LBS Mail Order Department, Littlehampton Book Services, PO Box 4264, Worthing, West Sussex, BN13 3RB. 

Please quote the offer code APG97 and include your name and address details. 

*UK ONLY - Please add £2.50 if ordering from overseas.

********
I was in England for three days last week, in Haydon Bridge, visiting Roman sites along Hadrian's Wall. Andrew had many archaeological places in the area worth a looking at for work and I am so grateful that his employers recognise that he is my carer as well as my hubby. I don't think I would cope with him gone that long as my depression ( partly to do with the weather and time of year) has been bad as you know. It came with me (haha) but I had a really interesting time and will share a little later this week.

******
Even more exciting is the news that I was at the lottie yesterday!! Oh YES, happy happy March and an afternoon without rain :) Naturally I have lots of photos and again, this week, my friends, I shall share xxx

Hugs

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a little nugget of happiness in the form of a comment - don't forget to put your name at the end if using 'anonymous' setting x